ICoS is a workshop series on Inference in Computational Semantics, an initiative of Christof Monz and Maarten de Rijke. ICoS-1 took place in Amsterdam in 1999 with an attendence of over 50 researchers. A selection of the papers presented at ICoS-1 is published in a special issue of the Journal of Language and Computation.
ICoS-2 was organised a year later in the peaceful Dagstuhl Castle, Saarland, Germany. Although the attendence was only 30, it was an intense and communicative meeting. A selection of the papers presented at ICoS-2 is published in the Journal of IGPL.
ICoS-3 was co-located with the International Joint Conference on Automated Reasoning (IJCAR 2001), which was set in the beautiful city of Siena, Italy. This two-day event featured three invited speakers (David Israel, Alexander Koller, and Ian Pratt-Hartmann), two tutorial sessions (given by Peter Baumgartner, Claire Gardent and Ulrich Furbach), seven research papers and three system descriptions.
ICoS-4 took place at LORIA in Nancy, France, as part of the Nancy Inference Week in 2003, co-located with Methods for Modalities (M4M-3) and Description Logic Day (DLD). The program consisted of fourteen contributed papers (acceptance rate: 56%) and four invited talks (by Harry Bunt & Laurent Romary, Balder ten Cate, Claire Gardent, and Allan Ramsay). Local organisers were Carlos Areces and Patrick Blackburn.
ICoS-5 was organised as a two-day event in April 2006 at the University of Derby College, Buxton (UK), featuring three invited presentations (Christian Ebert, Patrick Pantel and Stephen Pulman), twelve regular and six short papers (overall acceptance rate: 75%). The local organisers of ICoS-5 were Ian Pratt-Hartmann and Allan Ramsay.
- ICoS-1: Amsterdam (Netherlands), August 15, 1999. ICoS-1 proceedings
- ICoS-2: Schloss Dagstuhl (Germany), July 29-30, 2000. ICoS-2 proceedings
- ICoS-3: Siena (Italy), June 18-23, 2001. ICoS-3 proceedings
- ICoS-4: Nancy (France), September 25-26, 2003. ICoS-4 proceedings
- ICoS-5: Buxton (UK), April 20-21, 2006. ICoS-5 proceedings
Richard Montague Memorial Award
This prize, in memory of the philosopher Richard Montague, is awarded for the best presentation at ICoS. Winners of the Richard Montague Memorial Award are Alexander Koller (ICoS-3), Carlos Areces (ICoS-4), and Patrick Pantel (ICoS-5).
ICoS Conference Reports
- ICoS-5: Christian Ebert, Patrick Pantel, Stephen Pulman;
- ICoS-4: Harry Bunt, Laurent Romary, Balder ten Cate, Claire Gardent, Allan Ramsay;
- ICoS-3: David Israel, Alexander Koller, Ian Pratt-Hartmann;
- ICoS-2: James Allan, Christof Monz, Bonnie Webber;
- ICoS-1: Johan Bos, Stephen Pulman, Matthew Stone.